OASIS SP, NM—With my belt tighter by three notches (and with some new holes drilled into it), I’ve started the actual writing part of writing a diet book. As I’ve mentioned previously, writing a book is a lot easier than you’d probably suspect.
Simply keep breaking it down until you’ve got a bunch of tiny little pieces.
- I started with a mind map to gather and organize all my thoughts.
- I then outlined the main subjects which would later become chapters.
- I further broke each subject/chapter down into topics.
- I then broke the topics down into individual points I wanted to cover.
- I write a first draft of each point, which rapidly expands to a topic, which expands to a chapter.
- I revise very little at this stage, just write and write and write.
- When I realize I need to expand on a concept somewhere, I just add a node to the outline, attach a note with my thoughts, and get back to that later.
Little by little, it all starts to come together.
Pretty soon, you’ve got a first draft of an entire book.